"L’Elisir d’Amore" in New York
Pretty Yende debuts a new role at the Met with her first Adina opposite Matthew Polenzani. See L’Elisir d’Amore at The Metropolitan Opera House with exclusive pricing for seats located in the Orchestra section on select performance dates January 16 - February 17. This package also includes one $25 STK - Midtown Dining Credit per purchase. Click "BUY NOW" for performance dates and times.
Bartlett Sher’s production is charming, with deft comedic timing, but also emotionally revealing. L’Elisir d’Amore has been among the most consistently popular operatic comedies for almost two centuries. The story deftly combines comic archetypes with a degree of genuine character development rare in works of this type. Its ending is as much a foregone conclusion as it would be in a romantic comedy film today—the joy is in the journey, and Donizetti created one of his most instantly appealing scores for this ride.
The Met’s production sets the action in 1836, when the Risorgimento, the movement for Italian independence, was beginning to gather momentum.
What separates L’Elisir d’Amore from dozens of charming comedies composed around the same time is not only the superiority of its hit numbers, but the overall consistency of its music. It represents the best of the bel canto tradition that reigned in Italian opera in the early 19th century—from funny patter songs to rich ensembles to wrenching melody in the solos, most notably the tenor’s showstopping aria “Una furtiva lagrima” in Act II. Its variations between major and minor keys in the climaxes are one of opera’s savviest depictions of a character’s dawning consciousness.
One of the most popular comic operas in the repertoire, L’Elisir d’Amore combines a lighthearted story with beautiful melodies and four great leading roles.
- Event tickets will be set up for will call and held at the theatre box office. Valid Photo ID must be presented when picking up tickets. Tickets must be picked up no later than 30 minutes prior to performance start time.
- Seats will be assigned at the discretion of the show/box office within the selected section of the theatre.
- Seats are guaranteed to be together when in the same purchase. Seats assigned in rows in front or behind the same seats are considered together, but almost all seats are side by side including all pairs.
- Offer is non-refundable and cannot be combined with any other offer or applied to previously purchased tickets.
- Price displayed utilizes all in pricing including processing fees, facility fees, applicable taxes, applicable shipping fee and package items. Price on ticket may not reflect all additional fees and items.
- No cash value or cash back. This is a date-specific event. Not valid after show date. All sales final.
STK - MIDTOWN DINING CREDIT:
- $25 STK Dining Credit valid only at the participating STK New York City - Midtown restaurant location (1114 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036). For more information visit http://togrp.com/restaurant/stk-new-york-city-midtown/
- Advanced dining reservations must be made to use Dining Credit. Instructions included in order confirmation email
- $25 STK Dining Credit code will be included in your order confirmation email immediately following your purchase
- Must present confirmation email or Dining Credit code at time of use
- One time use only. Cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Has no cash value
The Metropolitan Opera House – Lincoln Center
10 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY, 10023